Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I heart Pinkberry

People refer to their Blackberry's as Crackberry but to me, Crackberry means one thing: PINKBERRY!!! For those of you who don't live in LA, New York or Las Vegas, you are not lucky enough to know what I'm talking about. For those of you who do live in those cities and still don't know what I'm talking about, you're missing out!

Pinkberry is frozen yogurt, but calling it frozen yogurt is just such an understatement (yes, I know, I'm using very exaggerated language, but what can i say, i LOVE it). The best I can describe Pinkberry is it tastes like plain yogurt with a little something extra. It's a little tart and a little sweet. There are only 2 flavors, Plain and Green Tea. I heard it's actually copying a Korean company in Korea called Red Mango. Apparently the main ingredient in Pinkberry's frozen yogurt is this Asian stuff called Calpice (or Cowpiss as my mom accidentally pronounces it) that you can actually find in drink form in many Asian restaurants and supermarkets. Because it's made from this stuff it's all natural and you don't get that gross chemical taste you get from other frozen yogurts. It also only has 25 calories per ounce (which also means LA anorexic teens line up by the boatload to eat it as their meal).

There's this great LA Times article that talks more about it and its popularity. I'd say about 95% of the time I go to Pinkberry there's a line, unless it's a new location or during waayy off hours.

I think that the magic of Pinkberry is in its toppings. Instead of the gross canned syrupy fake fruit at most fro yo places you can choose from fresh mango, raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, banana, pineapple, pomegranate, blackberry, or kiwi. There's also Oreo, chocolate chips, yogurt chips. mochi, captain crunch, almost, coconut and granola.

Every Pinkberry store is brightly decorated and looks like this:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yummm . I'm getting hungry just looking at this. This is what i always get, a plain medium with mango, raspberry and pomegranate.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us


I remember taking my sister there after raving about Pinkberry. After the first couple bites she said, "It's alright, I don't get the big deal about it." Then after she'd eaten some she said, "I don't get it, why can't i stop eating this!" The next day i get a call from her saying, "I just went to Pinkberry again." What can i say, Pinkberry is addictive, hence the nickname, Crackberry.

In LA there are now locations in Koreatown, Larchmont, Beverly Hills, Studio City, Temecula, West Hollywood (the original), Westwood and Sawtelle. In New York they're on 32nd Street and in Chelsea. I don't think the Las Vegas location is open yet.

I've put a limit on myself, only one Pinkberry a week!

4 comments:

joanh said...

yeah, i can't wait to try it when i get back at the sawtelle location and see what the fuss is about.... it all makes sense now- froyo calipis.. hahhhaha

Lisa Wang said...

These are pictures of the Sawtelle one actually. It only opened a few weeks ago so that's the one i go to because word isn't out yet so there's not much of line, just wait a couple months though and it'll be packed!

Moi said...

Wow that looks yummy!

CaliforniaStyle said...

Oh, I love Pinkberry too!!! I had it 2 times last week...almost 3 but our plans changed.