Sunday, April 22, 2007

Shopaholic and Baby



The Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella is a fun entertaining read, especially for anyone who loves to shop or is interested in fashion (I also liked her book Can You Keep a Secret?) I really loved the first three and i thought the forth one was okay. I was excited to see the fifth installment of the book, Shopaholic and Baby. Honestly, I have to say I was pretty disappointed. Amazon.com reviewers have given it 4.5 stars and both Publisher's Weekly and Booklist gave it a good review, so maybe I'm in the minority here but I thought the main character, Becki Brandon (nee Bloomwood as she says) has gotten incredibly annoying. While the ridiculous situations she gets herself into used to be funny and endearing, this time they just seem embarrassing. Maybe it's because I've grown out of my chick-lit phase or maybe by the 5th book a character can start to get on your nerves. I just feel like she hasn't grown whatsoever, especially now with a baby on the way. Also, I wish Kinsella would have made her a little more intelligent. It would make it more believable that her husband, Luke Brandon, who is a PR executive and educated, intelligent, etc . . would marry her. At one point (spoiler alert!) a character asks Brandon why he married this airhead and for a second the character is stumped and honestly, so was I. Nevertheless, the book is funny at times and a very very fast read so even though I didn't like it, maybe you'll agree with the rest of the amazon.com reviewers. If you have read it, what did you think?

On a separate note, I just read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and absolutely loved it. I would try to read it before the movie comes out next year with Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Two words, trophy wife. Ok, admit I haven't touched any of the books, but I have lived in AH and near LA enough to know what I'm talking about.

joanh said...

haha. I browsed through the book at a store, but didn't really want to buy it.. a funny baby chick lit-ish book is YOU'LL NEVER NANNY IN THIS TOWN AGAIN. actually i have a few books and mags you can borrow!