Sunday, January 28, 2007

SAG Awards Fashion

I think the SAG awards is the middle child between the Oscars and Golden Globes. It's an awards show that everyone goes to but it doesn't get much attention (even though it's a much better predictor of the Oscars than the Golden Globes, and it's a bigger honor since it's fellow actors and not the press who votes). Nevertheless, it's another reason for the stars to get dressed up in fancy dresses I wish I could wear. This year no dresses really wowed me or stood out, but I think everyone looked pretty decent, nothing too bad, nothing fantastic though.

While the theme of the Golden Globes was winter white, I think the trend of the SAG awards was bright colors, golds/cremes/beiges, and grays. How come no one wears black anymore?

Apparently bright colors (especially red, yellow and cobalt blue) are very in for spring, I didn't realize they were out. Anyways, lots of stars wore bright colors (and funny enough, almost no one wore white) and I think they looked great. In red we have Katherine Heigl who looks gorgeous, Demi Moore in Alberta Ferretti (love the dress), Kate Walsh in Kevan Hall (I'm on the fence about the dress, looks good with her hair though)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
There's also Becki Newton (from Ugly Betty) in Reem Acra, Julia Louis Dreyfuss in Carolina Herrerra (beautiful dress) and Jada Pinkett Smith in Bob Mackie Couture (VERY bright!).
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

There were also some lovely ladies in gray. A very pregnant Jamie Pressley in Badgely Mischka (I wish I could look like that normally let alone pregnant), Mariska Hargitay in Carolina Herrera, and Eva Longoria in Vera Wang (I don't love this dress, it's pretty but I think it looks too big and too long on her).
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Reese Witherspoon in Nina Ricci (she's going for the shorter dresses at these awards shows which is refreshing and very different) and Jordana Spiro (star of the TBS show My Boys, which is really fun show.)
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Beige/Creme/Goldish colored dresses were also popular. Armani Prive must be loving this color since they dressed Cate Blanchett and Diane Kruger in it. I like Cate Blanchett's dress (although doesn't it look a little short?) and Diane Kruger's just looks kind of off, maybe because it's weirdly asymmetrical, still she pulls it off. Sandra Oh chose an Armani frock in this color as well. I'm not a huge fan of it though, or any of these Armani dresses.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us
Kyra Sedgewick looks great in Herve Leger. Nicolette Sheridan (her dress looks like it's been done before) and Helen Hunt also went with beige.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

I really don't know how I feel about Ellen Pompeo's Lanvin dress. On one hand, I really want to like it because it's very different and unique from anything else on the red carpet. The neck thing is kinda cool and would have looked great on a dress that wasn't so ill fitted. The dress as a whole looks strange and doesn't seem to fit well. The body part of it looks like she draped a big bag over herself. Her hair also looks very severe. What do you think?
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

My pick for best dressed is Sara Ramirez from Grey's Anatomy. I couldn't find who designed the dress but I think she looks fantastic. She's a more full figured woman especially compared to all the typical Hollywood actresses and this dress plays up her curves and uses them to her advantage. The color is great on her skin tone and her hair looks great with the strapless.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My worst dressed is going to have to go to Mary Louise Parker and Patricia Arquette. They're not too too horrible though, I think my least favorite is a more appropriate term. Mary Louise Parker is so talented and so gorgeous but this dress just looks weird. I think if it was tailored better, especially the bust, then it would have looked much better. It kind of reminds me of Lara Flynn Boyle's ballerina debacle a while ago. The shoes invoke that image. I just don't think it fits right. Ditto for Patricia Arquette, she needs a new stylist STAT, I've never seen her look good at an awards show and she is so capable of it. That dress does not flatter her at all and doesn't fit right. It also kind of looks like aluminium foil.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

Finally, congrats to my favorite comedy The Office for winning Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series. It's is a well deserved award, that show is hilarious and the actors' facial expressions are half of what makes it so funny(plus i have a big crush on John Krasinski). The cast is supposed to be really nice and a lot of them have myspaces where they write blogs to give some backstage insight and communication with the fans. Jenna Fischer's is here.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

For a complete list of the winners and nominees click here.

2 comments:

molly said...

interesting, i think ellen pompeo was the only major misstep. plus i dont see beyonce (thank GOD)

Tru said...

Katherine Heigl looks gorgeous