Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Part 1 of Travels: I Heart Paris

After a month of living out of suitcases and travelling I'm settled in Taipei for the next few months. Travelling was phenomenal and I have SO SO much to blog about, especially the fashion in Japan, it was pretty, um, interesting. However, I'm going to do things chronologically and begin with Europe. Where else would I start with my favorite city and fashion capital: Paris!!

I've done the whole Champs Elysee Paris shopping before and I'm sure most of you know about it so I'm not going to post about it. Instead, I want to tell you about the cutest shopping area called Marais. I only knew about it because I asked one of my best friends where to go and she told me about how great it is, thanks Martha! Marais is not as touristy as the Champs which was nice. The best part about it was the many many boutiques lining the streets. I wanted to stop by almost every store but alas, I didn't have that much time. It's also a very old part of Paris so the buildings are beautiful and many of the streets are still cobblestone. Marais also has the Picasso Museum and another museum called MuseƩ Carnivalet about the history of Paris with whole rooms made up like they would have been in the old times.
I guess if i were to compare it to something I'd say it's like Robertson Blvd. in Los Angeles and the Champs is like Rodeo (well, like Robertson Blvd. before Kitson and Paris Hilton made it trashy). The street you must walk on is rue des Francs Bourgeois.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

There are also many cute cafe's lining the street as well.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

There's also an amazing gelato shop called Amorino (they have Nutella gelato, yumm) where they make your gelato looks like a flower. It's very busy with long lines but totally worth it. It's worth it just to see them making the gelato all pretty on the cone.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

I love going to bookstores and browsing and Paris has the most interesting bookstore I've ever been to called Shakespeare and Company. Even if you don't want need to buy books it's worth checking out, and it's just a couple blocks away from Notre Dame. It sells mostly English books actually. Apparently some famous writers wrote and visited there but the inside of the store just piled with books one on top of the other. it's very old and very quaint.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.usImage Hosted by ImageShack.us

I could do a 100 posts on the stores in Paris and that still wouldn't be enough. The ones I really liked were called Comptoir des cottonoiers and Zadig and Voltaire. They actually have a Zadig and Volatire in Los Angeles but it is much more expensive than it is in Europe. Comptoir is also in London and sells simple but stylish clothing, that's where i got my beret from. Zadig and Voltaire is more funky and has beautiful leather and cashmere sweaters. Check out their websites for more info.

Part 2 of my travels will be coming soon!

2 comments:

Flashy_Shades said...

your post gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling that only reliving paris can give

The Spicers said...

The Marais is my favorite neighborhood in Paris. Check out Rue du Vieille du Temple nex time you are there for some great shops and cafes.
Also, Shakespeare & Co is an English-language bookstore owned by an American guy. There's a great book about the history of the place called, Time Was Soft There.
You've made me want to go right back to Paris!